Tuition and Fees

Mandatory fees include student affairs, technology, and general use fees. Students will also be assessed parking, matriculation and student ID fees, and some classes have additional laboratory fees, which are listed on this page. The schedule of combined tuition and mandatory fees presented below is intended to assist students in estimating their educational costs. The following tuition and mandatory per credit hour fee rates have been implemented for 2022-2023.

2022-2023 Tuition Rates

Base Tuition and Fees per Credit Hour
Fee Type In-District Out-of-district Non-resident
Tuition $50 $92 $144
Fees $44 $44 $44
Total $94 $136 $188

Per Credit Hour Fees include the Student Service Fee, General Use Fee, and Technology Fee

Differential Tuition for Viticulture, Associate Degree Nursing, and Bachelors of Science in Nursing Programs

In addition to the base tuition rate, the following tuition rate per credit hour will be charged for courses with the following subjects: FDST, RNSG, NURS

Viticulture, Associate Degree Nursing, and Bachelors of Science in Nursing Differential Tuition Rate
Status Rate
In District $52 per credit hour
Out of District $77 per credit hour
Non Resident $135 per credit hour

Combined Tuition Rates and Mandatory per-credit Fees by Credit Hour

$200 minimum tuition, plus fees

Tuition and Fees by Credit Hour
Semester Hours In District Out of District Non-Resident
1 $94 $136 $188
2 $188 $272 $376
3 $282 $408 $564
4 $376 $544 $752
5 $470 $680 $940
6 $564 $816 $1,128
7 $658 $952 $1,316
8 $752 $1,088 $1,504
9 $846 $1,224 $1,692
10 $940 $1,360 $1,880
11 $1,034 $1,496 $2,068
12 $1,128 $1,632 $2,256
13 $1,222 $1,768 $2,444
14 $1,316 $1,904 $2,632
15 $1,410 $2,040 $2,820
16 $1,504 $2,176 $3,008
17 $1,598 $2,312 $3,196
18 $1,692 $2,448 $3,384
19 $1,786 $2,584 $3,572
20 $1,880 $2,720 $3,760
21 $1,974 $2,856 $3,948

Mandatory Fees

Per Credit Hour

Student Services Fee
$12.50 per semester hour
General Use Fee
$26.50 per semester hour
Technology Use Fee
$5.00 per semester hour

Per Semester

Matriculation Fee
$20.00 per semester, non-refundable
Student ID Card Fee
$6.00 per semester, non-refundable
Follet ACCESS (Course Materials Fee - may opt-out)
$27.63 per semester hour

Follett ACCESS

The Follett ACCESS program delivers required course materials automatically through a flat $27.63 per credit hour fee. With some exceptions, course materials for enrolled courses will be made automatically available in Canvas at the start of each class. Students may opt-out of this program via emailed instructions. More information can be found at

Tuition and Fees for Auditing Courses

Tuition and fees for auditing a course are the same as those paid by students registering for credit. The deadline for auditing a class is the census date for the course. Students must complete audit forms in the Office of Admissions and Records to audit a course. If paperwork is not submitted by the census date, the student will receive a grade in the course, and the course and grade will appear on the student’s transcript.

Payment of Tuition and Fees

All tuition and fees must be paid by payment deadlines. Payments may be made online through the Business Office. Payments can also be made in MyViking. A payment plan may also be available through MyViking.

Excessive Credit Hours

Texas Education Code Section 54.068 stipulates that the State of Texas will not provide funds to state institutions of higher education for excess semester credit hours earned by a resident undergraduate student. Since funding will not be provided by the State, and as permitted by State law, certain state institutions of higher education will charge tuition at the non-resident rate to students who exceed the semester credit hour limit of their program.  

Effective with students initially enrolling in the fall 1999 semester and subsequent terms, hours, including dual credit hours attempted by a resident undergraduate student at any public Texas institution of higher education that exceeds more than 45 hours of the number of hours required for completion of the degree plan in which the student is enrolled. 

Effective with students initially enrolling in the fall 2006 semester and subsequent terms, hours, including dual credit hours attempted by a resident undergraduate student at any public Texas institution of higher education that exceeds more than 30 hours of the number of hours required for completion of the degree program in which the student is enrolled. 

For purposes of excess hours, a resident undergraduate student includes a non-resident student who is permitted to pay resident tuition.

Students could be impacted by this law and should be aware of the impact of taking courses in excess of their degree program, and if they plan to transfer to other institutions of higher education in Texas.

Third Attempt “Rider 50” Tuition

Students of GC are charged a higher tuition rate for each course they repeat three or more times at a rate of $50 per credit hour.  The “third attempt” course tuition rate applies to the majority of credit courses counting each time a student has taken a course since fall 2002. “Third attempt” tuition does not apply to developmental education courses and repeatable courses.

A student enrolled in his/her last semester at GC taking a course required for graduation will not be charged the higher rate even though the course has been taken three or more times. The qualifying student should apply for graduation before the beginning of their last semester in the Office of Admissions and Records.  The student must notify the Office of Admissions and Records of their final semester of attendance before graduation and which course(s) is the repeated, required course to avoid the higher “third attempt” course tuition rate.

Returned Check Policy

A $25.00 returned check fee is charged for each check returned by the bank. A stop-payment is considered the same as a returned check. All returned checks and returned check fees must be paid by cash, cashier’s check, MasterCard or Visa. Students are notified of returned checks by certified mail. If the returned check is not redeemed by the deadline specified in the letter, the student is withdrawn from classes for that term and a hold is placed on the student’s record. Subsequent reinstatement for that term can be granted only through a successful appeal to the Registrar and requires a $50.00 reinstatement fee.

Financial Obligations

Until all financial obligations to the College have been satisfied, a hold is placed on a student’s records which bars the student from registering or having an official transcript issued.

Residency Requirements for Tuition Purposes

To be considered a Texas resident, students must clearly establish residence in Texas for the 12 months preceding their enrollment. Documentation of Texas residency may be required in addition to the application for admissions.

  1. An in-county student is an individual who is a resident of Texas (as defined by the Texas Education Code, Section 54.075) and who resides in Grayson County on the census date of the term.
  2. An out-of-country student is a resident of Texas (as defined by the Texas Education Code, Section 54.075) who resides outside of Grayson County on the census date of the term.
  3. An out-of-state student is an individual who has not resided in Texas for 12 months preceding registration. Anyone who enrolls as a non-resident of Texas is presumed to remain in that classification as long as he/she continues as a student. Most students on temporary visas will also be classified as nonresidents for tuition purposes. Contact the Admissions and Records Office for visas eligible for in-state residency.

NOTE: Oklahoma residents are classified as non-residents but are eligible to receive a waiver of non-resident tuition and will be charged out-of-district rates, upon providing the same documentation as required of Texas residents.

The responsibility for registering under the proper residency classification is that of the student, and any question concerning the student’s right to classification as a resident of Grayson County must be clarified prior to enrollment at Grayson College. Changes of address affecting residency should be reported promptly to the Admissions and Records Office. The Admissions and Records Office handles all residency appeals. The residency appeal and supporting documentation is the responsibility of the student. 

Documents to Support Residency

Documentation of Texas residency may be required in order to pay in-state tuition. Generally, the following documents may be used in meeting residency requirements:

  • Texas public, private, home school or high school transcript (if enrolled in the last 12 months) showing three years of attendance and graduation date.
  • Letter of employment on company letterhead (verifying one year of employment).
  • Proof of paying in-state tuition at a Texas public institution of higher education during the previous fall or spring long semesters.

Waiver for Property Ownership

Persons who own property in Grayson County and reside outside the taxing district may be eligible for an ad-valorem waiver. Contact the Admissions and Records Office for information.

Tuition Rebates for Certain Undergraduates

First-time students entering Texas public institutions of higher education may be eligible for a $1,000 tuition rebate after earning a baccalaureate degree from a public Texas university. To be eligible for the rebate, a student must be a Texas resident and have attempted no more than three hours in excess of the minimum number of semester credit hours required to complete the degree in the catalog under which they graduated. Community college students hoping to qualify for the rebate should check with academic advising at the university where they plan to transfer to be sure the courses they are taking will apply to the university degree program they are pursuing. For specific eligibility information, contact the Advising office at GC.

Refund Policy

Withdrawal from the Institution or Reduction of Credit Hour Load

It is the responsibility of the student to complete the steps necessary to officially withdraw from college. Students may add and drop classes, as well as withdraw from the college by visiting their Success Coach in Advising.

Students enrolled in semester credit hour courses who officially withdraw their semester credit hour load at Grayson College shall have tuition and required fees refunded according to the following schedule. Refunds for courses with unique scheduling will be processed according to state guidelines. Specific dates for all terms are located in the Academic Calendar located on the college website.

16 Week Term Refund Policy
Withdrawal Date Refund Amount

Prior to the first class day


During the first fifteen class days


During the sixteenth through the twentieth class day




10 Week Term Refund Policy
Withdrawal Date Refund Amount

Prior to the first class day


During the first nine class days


During the tenth through the twelfth class days




8 Week Term Refund Policy
Withdrawal Date Refund Amount

Prior to the first class day


During the first five class days


During the sixth class day




5 Week Term Refund Policy
Withdrawal Date Refund Amount

Prior to the first class day


During the first four class days


During the fifth class day




3 Week Term Refund Policy
Withdrawal Date Refund Amount

Prior to the first day of class


During the first three class days


During the fourth class day




For the purpose of the refund policy, a class day is defined as a day during which college classes are conducted. The count begins with the first-day classes are held during the term and includes each consecutive class day thereafter. The count is not based on the number of times a particular class has met. The first class day and other important dates are listed in the Academic Calendar located on the college website.

As per federal guidelines regulating the refund of Title IV (financial aid) programs, all refunds due to the Title IV Programs shall be refunded as follows:

  1. Federal Direct Unsubsidized and Subsidized Loans
  2. Federal Pell Grant
  3. Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
  4. Other Title IV Programs
  5. Other state, private, or institutional student financial assistance programs.

Students receiving Title IV funds (Pell, other federal grants and student loans) who subsequently withdraw from classes, or do not begin attendance in all courses, will be required to return all or a portion of the federal financial aid received in a process called calculation of Return to Title IV. Only the percentage of aid earned (determined by the percentage of time attended) will be eligible for retention on the student’s behalf. Any aid that is not earned must be returned to its source. If there is a student account balance resulting from these adjustments, the student is responsible for payment. Further details can be obtained from the Office of Financial Aid.

A portion may be returned to the student only after the appropriate amounts have been allocated to the Title IV Programs. No refund to a Title IV Program shall exceed the award from that program.

Tuition and fees refunds will be processed two to three weeks after the census date of the appropriate term. Financial Aid disbursements are applied to the student’s statement balance first. Remaining funds that are eligible for reimbursement will be processed within three business days after receipt from the funding source. Students may set up a direct deposit or credit/debit card in MyViking. Checks will be mailed to the billing address listed on the student’s account.


Students interested in living on campus might consider a Residence Hall. The resident housing program at Grayson College strives to promote the services necessary for students to live comfortably in a group environment. Residence hall living provides an atmosphere in which students may develop socially as well as intellectually.

Viking Hall and Ralph T. Jones Hall have main lounge areas for entertaining guests, as well as study lounges, television cable services, and wireless Internet access. The halls are equipped with free laundry facilities and have a live-in supervisor and other staff. Students living in the residence halls must purchase a meal plan. All students wishing to reside on campus must have an approved background check on file prior to moving in.

Please note that campus housing is closed during the Christmas break and summer unless otherwise published. Residents should plan ahead for alternative living arrangements for these periods.

​Room charges per semester cost

Viking Hall Room Cost
Room Semester Cost
Double Occupancy Room $800
Triple Occupancy Room $600
Jones Hall Room Cost
Room Semester Cost
Single Occupancy Room $1,750
Double Occupancy Room $1,450
Quad Occupancy Room $1,150

Deposit: $100 - Refundable (one-time charge)

Application Fee: $100 - Non-refundable (one-time charge prior to first semester of on-campus living)

19 Meal Per Week Plan: $2,271 plus tax

The Housing Application can be found on the college website under Housing ( For additional information, contact the Housing Office (

Required Course Fees

Laboratory courses require the payment of specified fees to pay for supplies, expendables, maintenance of equipment used by students, and/or testing in the particular course. Digital textbook charges that are attached to a specific course or section will be considered a fee. The college reserves the right to amend the fee schedule to reflect the changing costs of supplies. The following fees, as applicable, are payable at registration.

Course or Category Fee
Accounting (ACCT 2301, 2302, ACNT 1303, 1304, 1313, 1329) $24.00
Advanced Manufacturing (MCHN 1326, 1438, 1441, 1454) $40.00
Art $40.00
Banking (all courses with a lab) $24.00
Barbering (BARB 1402, 1442, 2431, 2441) $20.00
Biology labs (BIOL) $24.00
Business Computer Applications (BCIS) $24.00
Business (BUSI 1301, BUSI 2305) $24.00
Chemistry (CHEM) $24.00
Child Development (CDEC, EDUC, TECA) $15.00
Collision Repair (ABDR) $100.00
Computer Science (COSC) $48.00
Computer Science & Computer Technology (ITSE, ARTC) $24.00
Computer Maintenance & Networking Technology (CPMT, EECT, ITNW, ITSC) $24.00
Cosmetology (CSME) $28.00
Cosmetology (CMSE 1348, 1401, 1430, 1535) Liability Insurance $20.00
Criminal Justice (CRIJ 2314, CJSA 1308, 2323, 1393) $24.00
Culinary Arts / Hospitality Management (CHEF, PSTR, RSTO 1304) $120.00
Dental Assisting (DNTA 1245, 1251, 1301, 1305, 1315, 1349, 1353) Lab Fees $95.00
Dental (DNTA 1305) Drug Screen / Background Check $100.00
Dental (DNTA 1305,1349) Dosimetry Badges $40.00
Dental (DNTA 1245) Liability Insurance $20.00
Drafting /CADD $48.00
Drama (DRAM1120, 1121, 1330, 1342, 2120, 2121, 2331, 2332, 2333, 2351) $24.00
Drama (DRAM 1341) $40.00
Electrical Technology $75.00
EMSP 1438, 1455, 1356, 1501, 2137, 2143, 2206, 2330, 2237, 2434, 2544 (Lab Fees) $75.00
EMSP 2143 (Nat’l Registry & Skills Testing-Paramedic) $100.00
EMSP 1501 (Nat’l Registry & Skills Testing-EMT) $50.00
EMSP 1438 Drug Screen & Background Check $100.00
EMSP 1501 Drug Screen & Background Check $100.00
EMSP 1438 Skills & Capstone Testing-Paramedic $200.00
EMSP 1501 Skills & Capstone Testing-EMT $150.00
EMSP 1438 Paramedic Uniforms $125.00
EMSP 1501 EMT Uniforms $125.00
EMSP 2137 Simulation Fees $50.00
EMSP 2237 Simulation Fees $50.00
EMSP 1460 Liability Insurance-EMT $20.00
EMSP 1161 Liability Insurance-Paramedic $20.00
EMSP 1161, 2162 PPE Kit $135.00
Forensic Science (FORS 2440, 2450) $24.00
Geology Labs $10.00
HART $50.00
Medical Laboratory Technology (MLAB 1127, 1201, 1231, 1291, 1315, 1335, 1311, 2331, 2401, 2434) Lab Fees $50.00
Medical Laboratory Technology (MLAB 2660) Liability Insurance $20.00
Medical Laboratory Technology (MLAB 2660) PPE Fee $40.00
Music Class $15.00
Music Private Lessons: Half Hour $193.00
Music Private Lessons: One Hour $386.00
Nursing (RNSG 1119,1144) Lab Fees $15.00
Nursing (RNSG 1360) Drug Screen/Background Check $100.00
Nursing (RNSG 2404) Mid Curricular HESI  $80.00
Nursing (RNSG 2435) Exit HESI $72.00
Nursing (RNSG 1423) Comp Final Fees $48.00
Nursing (RNSG 2414) Comp Final Fees $66.00
Nursing (RNSG 1360, 1461, 2462, 2463) Simulation Fees $100.00
Nursing (RNSG 1360, RNSG 2462, RNSG 1461 TE ONLY) Liability Insurance $20.00
Nursing (RNSG 1423, RNSG 2404, TE ONLY) Lab Kit $146.50
Nursing (RNSG 1360,1461,2462,2463) PPE Kit $135.00
Office Technology (POFI, POFT, POFM, HITT, ITSC, ITSW) $24.00
Phlebotomy (PLAB 1160) Liability Insurance
Phlebotomy (PLAB 1160) PPE
Phlebotomy (PLAB 1223) Drug Screen/Background Check $100.00
Physical Education $24.00
Physics $24.00
Rad Tech (RADR 1311,2305,2401,2431) Lab Fees $75.00
Rad Tech (RADR 1160) Drug Screen/Background Check $100.00
Rad Tech (RADR 1160) Dosimetry Badges $110.00
Rad Tech (RADR 2401, 2431) Review Course $90.00
Rad Tech (RADR 1160, 2463) EVOS fees $160.00
Rad Tech (1160, 2463) Liability Insurance $20.00
Rad Tech (RADR 1301) Bootcamp Software $120.00
Reading/Writing $10.00
Viticulture/Enology $50.00
Vocational Nursing (VNSG 1360) Lab Kit $210.25
Vocational Nursing (VNSG 1360, 1361, 1162) Lab Fees $50.00
Vocational Nursing (VNSG 1360) ATI Testing Fees $322.00
Vocational Nursing (VNSG 1262, 1361) ATI Testing Fees $293.00
Vocational Nursing (VNSG 1502, 1509) Lab Fees
Vocational Nursing (VNSG 1360) Drug Screen / Background Check $100.00
Vocational Nursing (VNSG 1304) Liability Insurance $20.00
Vocational Nursing (VNSG 1262, 1361) Simulation Fees $75.00
Vocational Nursing (VNSG 1502) PPE Kit $135.00
Web-Based Small Business (IMED)
Welding $100.00

Additional Fees

Some students may have the following fees assessed in addition to required tuition and fees:

Fee Type Fee
Late Registration fee $75.00
International Student Application Fee/Evaluation Fee $100.00
Returned Check Fee $25.00
Reinstatement Fee $50.00
Third Attempt "Rider 50" Tuition (per credit hour) $50.00

Financial Aid

The Office of Financial Aid is available to help eligible students meet the cost of attending college. Financial aid opportunities include: scholarships, grants, loans, exemptions, vouchers, work opportunities, and other sources to qualified students enrolled in eligible programs. The level of federal and/ or state financial aid provided to students is based upon demonstrated financial need. Processing time is usually three to four weeks; students are encouraged to complete a FAFSA ( as early as possible.

The Department of Education releases the FAFSA application on October 1st of each year. The income information needed to complete the FAFSA is now considered to be the prior prior year. Example: the FAFSA for the 2022-2023 year will use 2020 income tax returns.

Advantages of filing your FAFSA as early as possible:

  • Ample time to submit any documents requested by the Department of Education
  • Many state funds are awarded based on priority date of submission
  • Time for financial planning for the upcoming school year
  • Many awards are allocated by funding amounts (first come, first serve eligibility)

Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy for Financial Aid (SAP)

Regulations for federal and state financial aid programs require that students make satisfactory academic progress (SAP) to be eligible for financial aid funding. SAP consists of three components and all three components must be satisfactory in order to be eligible to receive federal and/or state financial aid. SAP will be determined at the end of each semester. It is important to be aware of how this evaluation relates to Title IV state aid and differs from academic requirements and earning a degree. Although standards may differ among colleges, all colleges are required to include certain components detailed below. Students who do not have an academic history at Grayson College (first-time college enrollment or incoming transfer student) are evaluated upon receipt of their FAFSA information and enrollment.

Satisfactory Academic Progress = GPA + Pace (Completion Rate) + Max Time Frame

All three standards must be met for SAP to be maintained. SAP is evaluated using cumulative grades and credit hours, this includes semesters when no aid was received.

  1. Grade Point Average: Students enrolled in college-level course work must maintain a cumulative GPA of at least a 2.0. Grades of A, B, C, D, and F contribute toward the cumulative GPA.
  2. Pace (Completion Rate): Students must successfully complete at least 67% of all courses attempted in their academic career (excluding developmental courses).

Grades of A, B, C, D, P, and S are treated as successfully completed and earned. Grades F, W, and I are not. All repeat courses are included in attempted credits and any courses with passing grades are treated as earned. Courses taken on an audit basis and/or continuing education classes, do not count when determining enrollment status for financial aid, nor are they considered as credits earned or unearned for the purposes of determining pace.

Pace = Cumulative Earned Hours (Credits) ÷ Cumulative Attempted Hours (Credits)

  1. Max Time Frame: Students pursuing a degree and/or certificate may not receive financial aid for more than 150% of the attempted credit hours of the published program length as stated in the Grayson College Catalog. Withdrawals, drops, repeated courses, and transfer hours are counted toward the total hours attempted each semester.
Warning / Suspension / Failure to Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress

Financial Aid Warning: Financial Aid Warning occurs the first semester following when the cumulative grade point average is less than 2.0 and/or cumulative pace is less than 67% for any semester. The Director of Financial Aid also reserves the right, through professional judgment, to place a student on Financial Aid Warning. There is no need to appeal financial aid warning. Students will receive financial aid for one additional semester while on warning; this includes student loans. If, by the end of the warning semester, a student is not meeting satisfactory academic progress, the student will be placed on financial aid suspension. There is no warning period for exceeding the max time frame.

Financial Aid Suspension: If, after being on financial aid warning, a student has a cumulative grade point average less than 2.0 and/or a cumulative completion rate less than 67% they will be placed on Financial Aid Suspension. If a student can no longer mathematically complete the program within the max time frame for their program they will be placed on financial aid suspension. Students on Financial Aid suspension may continue to enroll at Grayson College at their own expense. Students may regain their eligibility for financial aid by raising their GPA and/or Pace. In some cases, they may regain eligibility when moving from one degree plan to a higher degree plan. Ex: Certificate to an Associate's or from an Associate’s to a Bachelor’s degree. A student may also file an appeal to regain eligibility.

Appeal Process: Students placed on financial aid suspension may have the right to appeal due to mitigating circumstance(s) that affected the student’s progression toward the successful completion of their program of study. Information regarding the appeal process can be found online on the Satisfactory Academic Progress web page. (

Academic Fresh Start: Students who apply and receive approval for Academic Fresh Start from GC’s Office of Admissions and Records are not exempt from meeting all three components of satisfactory academic progress for financial aid at Grayson College. All courses will be considered in the calculations for satisfactory academic progress components for financial aid, including fresh start. Cumulative GPA, cumulative attempted, and cumulative earned hours will not be recalculated for satisfactory academic progress.

Repeated Courses and Courses Dropped before the official census date: Credits that have been repeated will be considered toward the max time frame for the student’s program and be counted in the calculation for Pace. Courses dropped before census date will not be considered in max-time or pace calculation.

Students who withdraw completely from their courses or receive any combination of all F, W, and/or I: Federal regulations require the institution to perform a Return to Title IV (R2T4) calculation for all students who are within this category. Students will be notified of the amount of unearned aid that must be returned to GC and/or the Department of Education.

Establishing Your Aid in the Office of Financial Aid: Each Student seeking federal and/or state financial aid must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students and/or parents are encouraged to obtain an FSA ID to sign the FAFSA electronically. Failure to sign the application electronically may delay the processing of your application. Grayson College’s school code (003570) must be entered on the FAFSA in order for the Office of Financial Aid to receive the application. To complete a FAFSA electronically, visit the Federal Student Aid Website ( Computers with internet access are located in the Grayson College library or outside the Office of Financial Aid in the Student Affairs Building.

Financial Aid status can be reviewed by accessing MyViking on the college website.

For more information about requirements, qualifications, and application deadlines, contact the Office of Financial Aid.

Federal Pell Grant: The Federal Pell Grant Program was designed to provide more students with the opportunity to attend college. Grants are based upon financial need and are awarded to eligible students enrolled in an approved degree or certificate program. The length of this grant is limited to 6 full years or 12 full-time semesters.

Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grants (FSEOG): A limited number of students who demonstrate financial need and whose circumstances justify financial assistance in addition to the Pell Grant may be eligible for this grant. Students must be enrolled for at least six semester hours of college credit course work or the equivalent per semester.

TEOG Grant (Texas Educational Opportunity Grant): This grant is awarded to Texas residents based on eligibility, financial need, and availability of funds. The purpose of the TEOG Grant program is to provide grant aid to financially needy students enrolled in Texas public colleges.

Texas Public Education Grant (TPEG): This grant is awarded to Texas residents and certain non-residents based on financial need and availability of funds. Students must be enrolled for at least three semester hours of college credit course work or the equivalent during each semester. No individual award may be more than the student’s financial need.

Federal Direct Subsidized Loan: This loan is available to qualified students based upon financial need. Loan limits are published on the Grayson College website and are available in the Office of Financial Aid. The interest rate, determined by the federal government, does not accrue and does not have to be paid while the borrower is enrolled in at least half-time and while the borrower is within the time frame of their program length. Repayment usually begins six months after the student graduates, drops below half-time, or leaves school.

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan: This loan is not based on financial need and may be available to students who may not be eligible for the subsidized loans; but may not exceed the limits set by the federal government which are listed on the Grayson College website. The interest rate is determined by the federal government and begins accruing immediately on the date of disbursement.

Federal Direct PLUS Loan: This loan is available to qualified parents of dependent students who may borrow up to the cost of attendance minus any other financial assistance. The interest rate is set by the federal government and is a variable rate, not to exceed 10%. Repayment of PLUS loans begins within 60 days of the final disbursement. Applicants of this loan must pass a credit check.

Recipients of Veterans Educational Benefits

If you are a veteran, spouse of a veteran or a dependent of a veteran and you are receiving VA Educational Benefits, please check with your financial aid advisor/counselor before completing the loan process.

Student Employment

All students employed in the Work Study program are required to complete an application for employment and must submit to a background check. Work Study positions are available on campus. Applications may be picked up in the Office of Financial Aid or downloaded from MyViking.

Federal Work Study Program: Grayson College provides work opportunities for students through the federally funded College Work Study Program. The primary purpose of this program is to provide part-time employment for students attending GC. It is designed for students who demonstrate financial need are enrolled in at least six semester hours and who need additional earnings to continue to pursue their studies.

State Work Study Program: This program provides a limited number of work opportunities for eligible students who are Texas residents and enrolled in at least six semester hours of college credit course work.

Return to Title IV (R2T4)

When a recipient of Title IV funds (grant and/or loan) completely fails or withdraws from an institution during a payment period or period of enrollment in which the recipient began attendance, Grayson College will determine the amount of aid the student earned as of the student's withdrawal date or last day of academic-related activity (34 CFR 668.22(a)).

  • Each student is responsible for withdrawal from their courses if they do not plan to attend. Do not assume your courses will be dropped for nonpayment or nonattendance. A student may owe a balance if they enrolled and did not withdraw from classes prior to the first class day. It is suggested that students maintain documentation indicating their withdrawal date.

Students receiving Title IV funds, who subsequently completely withdraw from or fail all their courses, may be required to return a portion of the federal financial aid they received. Only the percentage of aid earned (determined by the percentage of time they attended) will be eligible for retention on the student’s behalf. Any aid that is not earned must be returned to its source. If there is a student account balance resulting from an R2T4 adjustment, the student is responsible for payment. Further details can be obtained from the Office of Financial Aid. If a student owes a repayment to the Department of Education, they may call DOE Collections at 1-800-621-3115. If a balance is owed to Grayson College, they can contact the Business Office at 903-463-8718.

Rehabilitation Assistance

The Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services (DARS) offers assistance with tuition and required fees to students, who have certain physical or emotional disabilities, provided the vocational objective selected by the student has been approved by the appropriate representative of the commission. DARS offers other rehabilitation services to assist students with disabilities to become employed. Application for assistance must be submitted to the local DARS office.


Visit the Grayson College website for a full list of the scholarships available from the Grayson College Foundation.


Visit for a list of State Exemptions. Not all exemptions listed on the website are available at GC. A few of the exemptions that are available at GC are listed below: 

  • Valedictorian Exemption: Available to all Texas public high school valedictorians. This exempts the highest-ranking graduate from the payment of tuition during both semesters of the first regular session immediately following their graduation. Students must be meeting SAP requirements to be eligible.

  • Tuition Exemptions: Exemptions for blind or deaf students, children of disabled firemen, peace officers, and other certificates of exemption must be presented at the time of enrollment.

    Additional information such as satisfactory progress, pro-rata refunds, and applications for all financial aid and scholarships may be obtained by contacting the Office of Financial Aid or accessing the financial aid page on the college website. To review your Financial Aid status, award amounts and cost, access your MyViking account.

    Grayson College’s Office of Financial Aid accepts no responsibility for billings, refund checks or any correspondence from this office that is sent to an incorrect address or difficulties caused by the postal service or other delivery methods.

    Office of Financial Aid
    Grayson College
    6101 Grayson Drive
    Denison, TX 75020
    (903) 463-8794

  • Texas Hazlewood Act Exemption: The Hazlewood Act is a State of Texas benefit that is offered by the Texas Veterans Commission. This program exempts qualified Veterans, spouses, and dependent children of up to 150 hours of tuition, including most fees, at public institutions of higher education in Texas. This exemption does NOT include living expenses, books, course commodities/consumables, late registration fees, student service fees and other supplies. Eligibility criteria and documentation requirements can be found on the Texas Veterans Commission Education website. (

Veterans Administration Benefits

Grayson College provides a Veteran Services Office (VSO) to assist the enrollment of veterans, war orphans, war widows and total and permanently disabled veterans, their spouses, and dependents. The VSO assists active duty military, reservists, and National Guards. This office serves as a liaison between Grayson College and the Veterans Administration. The VSO is located in the Student Life Center, 2nd floor. Advising for all veterans programs is available in the Veteran Services Office. Check the website for information concerning required documentation.

Requirements to receive maximum education assistance vary depending upon program eligibility. Students should consult the Veteran Services Office or website prior to enrollment. Students can also visit the Veteran's Affairs website's 'How to Apply' page ( for more information about their current educational benefits.

Tutorial assistance is available to eligible veterans that qualify.

The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) requires veterans and other eligible persons to define and follow predetermined degree plans as reflected in the College Catalog.

In order to receive VA educational assistance payments for those courses taken at Grayson College which are part of another institution’s degree plan, students must obtain a parent letter from the primary institution (university).

The official college transcript will provide a final record of the credits attempted by the veteran each semester. Official drop dates are published in the Academic Calendar. The last date of attendance in a course that was dropped will be determined from the date submitted at the Office of Admissions and Records. Final grades are submitted by the faculty and maintained on permanent file in the Office of Admissions and Records.

The Department of Veterans Affairs requires that the College interrupt training and report the names of veterans who are placed on academic suspension and those who are not making satisfactory progress.

A veteran who applies for admission to Grayson College must submit official transcripts from all previous colleges attended, including the Joint Service Transcript. If any credits earned are applicable toward the degree plan of the student, they will be approved by the appropriate academic dean.

Minimum Standards of Progress for Students Receiving VA Educational Benefits

Semester Hour or Certificate Programs

Satisfactory Progress

A student who is receiving VA educational benefits must maintain a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.00 or higher to be considered as making satisfactory progress.


A VA student who fails to achieve a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher after one semester shall be placed on Academic Probation. The student shall be reported to the VA as being placed on Academic Probation.


A VA student on probation who fails to achieve a current GPA of 2.0 or higher at the end of the first probationary period shall be reported to the VA Regional Office as making unsatisfactory progress. A student has the right to appeal the suspension. A student will not be certified for VA educational benefits without an approved appeal.

Appeal Procedure

Students receiving VA benefits will be placed on academic suspension due to lack of satisfactory progress. Students may appeal the denial of VA certification due to an unusual or extraordinary situation that affected the student’s progression toward the successful completion of his or her program of study. Examples of unusual circumstances include injury or illness of the student or immediate family member, death of an immediate relative of the student, or other extenuating circumstances. The appeal must be submitted in writing to the Office of Financial Aid and Veteran Services and should include: an explanation of the reason(s) why the minimum Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards were not achieved and supply a copy of all supporting documents. Students must provide a copy of their degree plan that has been signed by their success coach. If the appeal is reviewed and subsequently approved by the Appeal Committee, the student will be placed on Academic Plan Status. The Academic Plan will set out criteria for success for the upcoming semester. The student must show progress by successfully completing the attempted courses with at least a 2.50 GPA for the term. The student must meet attendance requirements during that term. The Director of Financial Aid and Veterans Services shall also have the authority to place conditions upon the certification for those cases covered under Veterans Educational Benefits provided through the institution. Students who have their appeal approved will be notified of the conditions that must be met in order to regain eligibility for VA certification through the institution. The student’s progress will be re-evaluated at the end of each semester. If conditions of the appeal and the Academic Plan are met, the student will remain on the Academic Plan. If the cumulative GPA is more than 2.5 at the end of the semester, the student will be removed from probation status. If the conditions of the appeal and Success Plan are not met, the student is placed on Academic Suspension.

Attendance Policy for Students Receiving VA Educational Benefits

Students using Veterans’ benefits attending Grayson College will have attendance monitored until the time the student drops, graduates, or completes the program. Unsatisfactory attendance shall be reported to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) even if the student has completed the required number of hours to complete and no refund is due to the student and/or refund sources. Therefore, the attendance policy (15% of the total program and/or being absent five (5) consecutive days) will apply throughout the student’s stay in school. All violations of the attendance policy shall be reported to the VA on VA Form 22-1999b within 30 days at such time the student exceeds the allowed number of absences. The student may be administratively withdrawn from any course for noncompliance with the Student Attendance Policy.


Last updated: 09/21/2022